Blog Archives

A plethora of baby beanies

I went a little overboard with the baby beanies and made more than I know what to do with. These are all made using  the same Tunisian crochet pattern that I created. I’m working on a pattern for it; hopefully it will be available soon!

2013-01-08_09-51-34_299

This is some hand-dyed wool you might remember from a few weeks back.

multi-color-baby-beanie-2

Here’s some more of that hand-dyed goodness.

multi-color-baby-beanie-3

The colors are so bright and cheerful.

multi-color-baby-beanie

Little Sister isn’t a huge fan, though. Getting her to participate in a photo op is pretty difficult.

2013-01-08_13-02-47_187

Here’s a GORGEOUS beanie created with Berroco Flicker, which is made from baby alpaca, and has sparkles!

2013-01-08_13-02-54_644

It’s incredibly soft and warm, and could be unisex, even with the sparkles.

2013-01-08_13-01-33_888

I like it plain and simple with no puff or any frillies.

2013-01-16_11-00-40_932

Hard to tell with this photo, but this beanie is green, blue, grey, and white. Made from acrylic.

These beanies were all worked flat and seamed up. I recently picked up a double-ended Tunisian crochet hook so I can start making them in the round instead if I choose.

Fingerless Mitts

I’ve been crocheting like a fiend lately. I find the Tunisian crochet method so fascinating and intriguing! I’m really glad that I finally got the hang of it.

Here’s some fingerless mitts made from some of the hand-dyed yarn I created recently.
wool-wrist-warmers | tolmema

This was my least favorite hank of yarn from my dyeing experiment. It looked kinda mushy and purple when I pulled it out to dry; however, after seeing what a beautiful finished product it makes, it’s now my favorite.

wool-wrist-warmers | tolmema

The colors remind me of a dark rainbow or something. Really quite lovely.

2013-01-13_09-59-43_45

They’re made to fit me, aka a women’s size M.

IMG950028

I’ve created a pattern for them and will post once I’m convinced it’s ready. I could use a couple of testers!

Hand-dyed Yarn Update

I balled up the yarn that I hand-dyed earlier this week and am incredibly happy wit the results!

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

This color combo includes orange, teal, and green. I’ve been in a fingerless mitt phase so I think that’s what this will become.

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

This one was my favorite – lime green, teal, and purple. I’d like to make something for myself out of this yarn, but I’m not sure what. I could use a new pair of gloves, or maybe a new hat?

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

This is a deceiving ball. I personally don’t think it looks very pretty but I worked up a small swatch and it looks really nice. My husband has asked for me to make a scarf out of it.

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

This is construction vest orange. I tried to make a pair of fingerless mitts out of it yesterday but I didn’t have quite enough, so it looks like this will become a headband or something.

Overall, I’m incredibly happy with the way my yarn dyeing experiment worked out, and I plan on trying again soon. I’d like to get some signature color combos nailed down to add some brand recognition to my crochet items; we’ll see where that goes for 2013.

Hand-dyed Yarn

I experimented with hand-dyeing yarn today. I’ve been wanting to try it for awhile but haven’t been able to  I used this tutorial as a guideline. I bought some of the white Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool and some koolade packets and went to work. My house now smells like fly spray (vinegar)!

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

This was the result of my first try. I put the whole hank into the pot and tried to add all  of the colors at once. I like the blue and green, but I got kind of purple-happy and it took over the skein a bit, which kind of turned the whole thing a bit brown. I wasn’t a huge fan of it at first, but it’s been growing on me. The colors are starting to pop a bit more as it dries.

hand-dyed-yarn | tolmema

I’m much happier with the results from the second round than the first, where I just put a part of the yarn into the pot at a time. The yarn on the left is a vibrant orange/red that is so loud it’s practically screaming. The middle is a lime green, teal, and purple mix. The one on the right is an orange/red, teal, and green mix.

All in all, I’m very happy with the results of this experiment. I can’t wait for the yarn to dry so that I can get it wound up and work with it!